Dr. (Mrs) Juliet Adamma Shenge leads the Dominican University research and innovation portfolio. She was appointed Director of research on November 20, 2019.
Her research focus is on molecular epidemiology and pathogenesis of viral diseases of public health importance. Her other research areas of interest include genomics of infectious diseases, antiviral research, viral oncology, viral zoonosis and disease outbreak investigations.
Juliet Adamma Shenge is a graduate of University of Ibadan, where she obtained her Bachelor’s degree (Hons.) in Microbiology, Master’s and Doctorate (Ph.D ) degrees in Virology, in the Department of Virology, College of medicine, University of Ibadan. She also holds Certificate in Molecular and Cellular Immune Response; Certificate in Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA) of Eastern Health, Newfoundland, Canada; Certificate in Epidemiology Coordinating and Research (EPICORE), USA, Certificates in Cancer Prevention and Birth Defects Surveillance by Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC, Atlanta, USA).
She is a member of many learned and professional associations including American Society for Virology, American Society for Microbiology, Association of African Virologists, International Society for Infectious Diseases, a certified member of Epidemiology Coordinating and Research (EPICORE), USA, TEPHINET etc. She is a recipient of distinguished awards, fellowships and scholarships including Global Scholar award, University of Ibadan Postgraduate College Scholarship; UI PG College Publication Award, Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) award; Acadia University scholarship, Nova Scotia, Canada; National Institute of Health Research Grants (USA); Keystone scholarships, CDC/TEPHINET scholarship award, WHO/World Hepatitis Alliance Award, among several others. She is also a fellow of Medical Education Partnership Initiative Nigeria (MEPIN). Dr. Shenge has attended several local and International conferences, where she has presented papers in her research and thematic area (Virology). She has to her credit several published articles in high impact journals, chapters in books and conference proceedings; reviewer/editorial board member of several reputable journals including Nature Research Journals (Scientific Reports), Sage Open Medicine, Journal of Oncology etc. She has a steaming interest in Global Health and International Development. She is a co-founder of Global Vision for Development Initiatives (GVDI). She is currently a lecturer in the Department of Biological Sciences, Dominican University, Ibadan.
Research is a key component of any institution. It enhances the profile and image of the institution; and forms its basis for effective teaching, responding to changing needs of the society.
The Office of Research at DU known as Research Management Office, holistically supports research advancement at DU, across all disciplines, in line with the vision and mission of the university. The research management office provides relevant leadership, guidance and research support services, facilitating translational, real-world research initiatives and partnerships with external bodies and stakeholders.
The office was established due to the need of the Dominican University to embark on real world translational research that increases its visibility and global image. As a citadel of learning per excellence, the institution prides itself in the quality of research and learning the Dominicans (Order of Preachers) are known for, over eight hundred years of their existence, geared towards meeting the needs of the society. Hence, the aim of the Research Management Office, through the Director of Research, is to assist the Vice-Chancellor, to realize the dreams of the institution, through innovation, partnership and collaborations with centers of excellence across the globe, as well as, creatively explore in most sustainable ways, how to increase the institution’s ability to generate revenue for developmental projects.
The office provides services and recognition programs that support staff and students research by facilitating discipline-specific and interdisciplinary research collaborations. The office oversees issues bordering on:
- Institutional Review Board (IRB)
- Research Ethics and Quality
- Staff Fellowships
- Research grantsmanship
- Internal Funding Opportunity
- Research Centers of Excellence and Institutes
- Staff Research Abroad Program
Major responsibilities of the research office at DU include but not limited to:
- Designing and providing the framework for research policies; recommendations and approval of research grants;
- Oversee in-flow of research funds, disbursement and accountability by grantees;
- Facilitating partnerships and collaborations with international organizations through linkages and exchange programmes;
- Initiate innovative and developmental programs that support academic activities and community service;
- Actively participate in fund generation for the university by ways of grants, endowments, fellowships, aids etc;
- Coordinate institutional activities on use of animals for research, care and disposal, as well as biosafety rules and adherence;
- Networking with relevant agencies including governmental, non-governmental and private-sector organisations including industries, financial institutions and for research programs, collaboration and funding;
- Carry out other assignments as may be directed by the Vice- Chancellor
To become a top Nigerian, internationally recognized research-intensive university.
- To create innovative, research-oriented knowledge aligned with our university core strengths and values.
- To attract and collaborate closely with individuals, reputable organizations, professional bodies within and outside the country, to carry out interdisciplinary cutting-edge research in emerging areas.
- To enhance staff and students’ skills and techniques, meant to define their future and impact the world positively, by actively engaging in ground-breaking translational research; having access to funds, calls, grants and institutionally-based repositories that support research.
- To actively engage the communities that we serve, to foster development.
- To serve as a linkage between our university and international organizations, universities, NGOs, private-public partnership including companies, professional bodies and funding agencies; to achieve research excellence.
Director of Research
(Research Management Office)
Dominican University, Ibadan
Education Layout, Samonda, Ibadan, Nigeria
Website: www.dui.edu.ng /research