Established by the Province of St. Joseph in February 2002 in honour of the late M.J. Dempsey, O.P., who was a founding Father and superior of the Dominican Vicariate of Nigeria and later Bishop of Sokoto. As the research support unit of the Dominican Institute, it organizes monthly intellectual public lectures and conferences. Under the heading “Dominican Publications”, it has published proceedings of the conferences as well as other research products of the Dominican Institute.
This Centre is devoted particularly to the sociology of religion, interreligious dialogue and conflict resolution.
This Unit shall coordinate all the general studies courses for the university. The General Studies Courses (GES Courses) are as listed below:
- Communication in English, I & II
- Logic and Critical Thinking
- Nigerian Peoples and Culture
- Use of Library and Study Skills
- Information and Communication Technology
- Introduction to Computers
- Philosophy and Human Existence
- History and Philosophy of Science
- Public Speaking
- Agricultural Enterprise
- Contemporary Health Issues
- Peace Studies and Conflict Resolution.
- Introduction to Entrepreneurial Skills.